History of Clarks Restaurant
Clark's original site was built in 1923 as a service station and small store called "Ma & Pas' Place." It still sits today in the same location in the tiny town of Artic, Washington in Grays Harbor County.
Clarks Early Customers
When the Raymond Highway was built, now Highway 101, in the 1930's, the workers needed a place to eat and truckers needed a place to gas up. The Johance Withrow family ran this establishment as a restaurant, tavern, service station, and grocery until the mid 1950's when it was purchased by Don and Francel Wolfe who focused on building up the restaurant end of the business and started the popular hamburger business.
When John and Beth Clark bought the restaurant in 1962, it became the Clarks Restaurant as it is today.
John & Beth Clark
John Clark used his mother's hundred year old ice cream recipe to build the reputation of "the best ice cream around."
John easily identified shake flavors by adding a dome of ice cream on the top of the mixed shake with topping poured over it. To this day Clark's Restaurant serves shakes with the famous "dome" toppings.
Beth was the cook, turning out giant burgers.
Edith Johnson worked at her side, for years, making sandwiches. The three Clark daughters served as the crew.
During the gas shortages of the 1970's they closed the pumps permanently but the tavern remained open.
Clarks was sold to the Lewis's in 1983 who ran it until 1996.
In 1985 Sunset Magazine carried an article about Clarks Restaurant
In 1996, the spring providing the water to Clarks dried up. The Lewis's walked away when Grays Harbor County closed down the business. The restaurant reverted to the ownership of John and Beth Clark but it was in dire need of repairs.
When Kathy and Rich Pacana bought the restaurant in 1997, they devoted 9 months to completely restoring the restaurant to the quaint, cozy establishment it is today.
Proud Members of : Grays Harbor Chamber of Commerce